The 2nd Indonesian Ballet Gala: AN INCLUSIVE DANCE EVENT
For the first time ever in Indonesia, a unique dance event that celebrates world-class talents, passions and commitments to art despite physical conditions!
During the Dance Event performances (ca. 120 min), audiences will be captivated by performances of outstanding diffable dancers from across the globe as well as inclusive dances with Indonesia’s diffable and non-diffable dancers:
- Marc Brew: an Australian, trained as a professional dancer. He was 20 years old when he was paralyzed from the waist down after a car accident. Currently he is a performer, a choreographer, and a dancer with many international awards.
- Candoco Dance Company’s Studies for C: a piece inspired by Tennessee Williams’ play Camino Real and Samuel Beckett’s Waiting for Godot, danced by London-based contemporary dance company of disabled and non-disabled dancers
- Queensland Ballet : brings the beauty and purity of ballet via Black Swan pas de deux and Spartacus excerpts
- Magali Saby’s La Fille de l’Air: Magali is a French diffable dancer, model and actress. She choreographed this piece to be premiered in Indonesia, and danced by herself and 5 professional Indonesian dancers
- Universal Ballet : brings the best of Asian ballets
- CANdoDANCE: consists of 14 Indonesian dancers, some with hearing and speaking impairment, which was coached by Candoco Dance Company’s Mirjam Gurtner and Tanja Erhart since July 2017
- Collaborative performances between EKI Dance Company (Indonesian’s premier dance company) and Disabled Children’s Counseling Foundation (YPAC)
The Gala will take place on Saturday, 23 September 2017 in Teater Jakarta.
First show: 13.00 wib
Second show: 19.00 wib
If you need further info / assistance about the performance, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Diffability (stems from ‘differently able’) is a concept that acknowledges and even celebrate that people with special needs that were often marked as ‘dis-able’ (or less able) often have extraordinary abilities, including in dance.